Internat des Landesgymnasiums für Musik / DE
Since 1965, the Villa Rothermundt, originally built in 1897 by the architect Karl Emil Scherz as a residential building in the city district of Blasewitz, served as a school and boarding school for musically gifted children. Increasing numbers of pupils and the wish to combine the various locations made building a boarding school necessary. From an invited competition the design by the architectural office Schulz & Schulz was chosen as the winner: Two cube-shaped buildings standing at a right angle are gently integrated into the park of the villa which is under a preservation order. The new building, completed in September 2008, offers on four storeys space for 50 pupils. The two-storey structure of the boarding-school’s façade consisting of large-format windows and plaster areas in different shades of grey cleverly covers up the fact that the buildings have four storeys and thus makes the buildings appear smaller than they are.
|Country/City:||Germany / Dresden|
|Client:||Sächsisches Staatsministerium der Finanzen, vertreten durch: Staatsbetrieb Sächsisches Immobilien- und Baumanagement SIB, Dresden, D|
|Architect:||Benedikt Schulz, Schulz&Schulz Architekten GmbH|
|Address:||Mendelssohnallee 34, Dresden, D|